Chogha Zanbil is a ruined palace and temple complex from the ancient Elamite city, near Susa in the Khuzestan region of southwestern Iran. The complex consists of a magnificent ziggurat (the largest structure of its kind in Iran), temples, and three palaces. The site was added to UNESCO’s World Heritage List in 1979. Built about 1250 B.C. under the direction of the Elamite ruler Untash-Gal during Middle Elamite period (1500 B.C. 1000 B.C.), the complex was dedicated to Inshushinak, the bull-god of Susa. The square base of the ziggurat, 344 feet (105 meters) on each side, was built principally of brick and cement. It now stands 80 feet (24 meters) high, less than half of its estimated original height. Its ornate facade was once covered in glazed blue and green terra-cotta, and its interior was decorated in glass and ivory mosaics. At the apex of the building stood a temple from which Inshushinak was believed to ascend to the heavens every night. The complex was still unfinished by about 640 B.C. when Chogha Zanbil was attacked, looted, and heavily damaged by the forces of the Assyrian king Ashurbanipal it fell into ruin